Monday, July 29, 2024

"Mind Playing Tricks On Me" by the Geto Boys

1991 / #23

Rate Your Music score: 4.26 out of 5!

These Houston rappers gave us this lost hit that apparently ranks #3 of all of 1991 on Rate Your Music - but never gets any radio play these days.

In fact, it didn't get much in 1991.

This song was in the countdown when American Top 40 - then hosted by Shadoe Stevens - infamously ditched the Hot 100, the most authoritative chart in the beeswax. Outrageously, AT40 chopped the song down to about 45 seconds. This was when the once-great AT40 butchered everything to appease affiliate stations that couldn't handle rap. But, while the show shortened rap hits, it looped a verse in an Amy Grant record over and over.

At the time, I tried to buy a record or cassette of "Mind Playing Tricks On Me." But record stores around here didn't stock it. The same was true in Springfield, Illinois. I went on a trip there, and I tried to find this song at stores there, and they didn't have it either. I called every record store in the yellow pages there. One of them seemed particularly angry that I asked. After we hung up, I realized that it was a religious record store.

I was a high school senior at the time, and this song yields another funny story: One day, a student in my class wrote all the lyrics to "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" on a desk!

I eventually was able to buy the cassette. But it wasn't until I recently found the video on YouTube that I knew my cassette actually has the less explicit version.

And that's not just my mind playing tricks on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment