Monday, July 22, 2024

"Jesus He Knows Me" by Genesis

1992 / #23

Rate Your Music score: 3.2 out of 5!

I never thought Genesis or Phil Collins would ever have a lost hit. In the late 1980s, Phil was considered a saint by radio stations. Pop stations played a Phil or Genesis record every single hour. This is no exaggeration. If they played an oldie, they went back further in time for ol' Phil than they did for almost any other act.

But one of the best records Genesis ever recorded disappeared from the airwaves as quickly as it appeared.

"Jesus He Knows Me" was a commentary about the phony televangelists who proliferated at the time. I'm mentioning it here because of the video. In the video, Phil portrays a preacher who uses donations to furnish his life of luxury. I saw the video one day, and something hilarious was immediately noted. Phil was wearing a wig that made him look just like my assistant principal from middle school. In addition to his diminutive stature, the wig gave him that same antiquated hairstyle.

I think that only caught my eye because my assistant principal was positively one of the worst human beings I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. When I got expelled in 7th grade, I wrote a simple Atari BASIC program that made fun of him. A few years later, I uploaded it to some local computer bulletin board systems.

Later still, a schoolmate told me about how the hapless assistant headmaster yelled at him for skateboarding in the school parking lot when he was no longer a student there. My schoolmate cussed him out in response.

Pick a brick!

No comments:

Post a Comment