Monday, July 15, 2024

"Mama Weer All Crazee Now" by Quiet Riot

1984 / #51

Rate Your Music score: 2.78 out of 5!

Even back in 1984, mass media had incredible influence. We're just damn lucky its influence was more positive than it is today.

Around the time of this lost hit, there were lots of songs that I thought were strangely funny or picturesque for reasons that were not intended by their performer. For the life of me, I can no longer remember what these reasons were. Examples include "Tenderness" by General Public and "Modern Day Delilah" by Van Stephenson - which are lost hits themselves. In fact, this belief seemed to extend to almost all rock and pop of the time, and I absorbed music as readily as Gavin Newsom absorbs Dippity-Do.

It culminated in hilarity one day in 6th grade. We were eating lunch in the school cafeteria. Near the end of lunch period, I suddenly decided to pound out a beat on the table. Within seconds, the entire 6th grade class had joined in! The trays and plates were shaking!

The principal was MAD!!!!!

Needless to say, it was one of the funniest things that took place all year.

It just so happened that the beat that I pounded out sounded exactly like the beginning of "Mama Weer All Crazee Now." I don't think this was intentional. I think I had subconsciously copied this beat after hearing the song frequently back then.

I'm surprised the principal didn't break out his trusty "board of education."

This record was actually a remake. Slade charted with it in 1972, but I don't remember Slade's version. Yet, whatever the weather, the song went down in history for inspiring one of the greatest incidents of my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment