Thursday, July 25, 2024

"Fool In Love With You" by Jim Photoglo

1981 / #25

Rate Your Music score: 2.78 out of 5!

I invented MTV!

Seriously, I came up with the idea of a TV station to air music videos. Too bad MTV had already invented MTV and I just didn't know about it yet.

MTV didn't come to town until 1983 (!), so the only place I saw videos was Casey Kasem's TV show. But if I did start a music video channel, I might have had to invest in clips like "Fool In Love With You" by Jim Photoglo.

I heard the song some on the radio back then, but I never saw the video until decades later when YouTube came along. And, man, did I get some laughs out of that!

The copies that appeared on YouTube were very low-res, so the guffaws didn't begin until the close-up scenes of Jim singing to the camera.

Even by the standards of 1981 - when guys such as Tom Selleck and Burt Reynolds mustached the world right good - that mustache looked absolutely uproarious!

Around the time I found this on YouTube, I used to read several blogs about Kentucky politics. There was a mustachioed right-wing Kentucky politician back then named Stan Lee (not to be confused with the comic book writer of the same name). One of these blogs had a contest to provide a caption for a photo of Lee. One of the entries was, "Jim Photoglo called. He wants his mustache back."

Also, since 2016, Jim has been touring with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - an act that George H.W. Bush once called "the Nitty Ditty Nitty Gritty Great Bird."

I bet you're just a fool in love with this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment