Thursday, August 1, 2024

"It's Sad To Belong" by England Dan & John Ford Coley

1977 / #21

Rate Your Music score: 2.73 out of 5!

"So I'm gonna take the Big Bird for the rest of my days..."

Are you ready for some misheard lyrics?

So far, this blog has featured metal, rap, a couple good ol' heartland rockers, and more! But now we have to pay the piper by featuring a tame ballad instead of the high-energy lost hits we usually use. In the immortal words of Steve Hawkins of Q-102: I don't cool off very often but when I do it's dynamite stuff!

One day when I was very young, we were in some store like a Frank's Nursery & Crafts or a Ben Franklin. Their music system didn't seem to play Quiet Riot or the Geto Boys. Instead, it fed us a steady stream of light and easy "favorites."

One song in particular caught my ear. I noticed an interesting line in the bridge of the song. The singer crooned, "So I'm gonna take the Big Bird for the rest of my days."

This conjured a hilarious image. I envisioned a guy with big sideburns and a mustache - like a lot of soft rock acts who played on TV back then - being carried through the sky on Big Bird's back. This was even though Big Bird could not fly. Even if Big Bird could fly, why would he want to fly people around all day? How can the singer plan in advance to "take the Big Bird for the rest of my days" when there was always a possibility Big Bird could go on strike?

I wondered for years what song it was that I had heard that day, but eventually I figured out it was a top 40 hit for this Dallas duo that I actually used to hear quite a bit. And I had misheard the words to the song. The real lyrics are, "So I'll live my life in a dream world for the rest of my days."

This won't be the last time this blog strays from the action-packed rockers that are so common here. I'm warning you in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment