Friday, August 30, 2024

"Body" by the Jacksons

1984 / #47

Rate Your Music score: 2.72 out of 5!

Sometimes, when you get a booger in your nose, it's got to go. Otherwise, it can dry up and really irritate.

That's why sometimes we'd find them wiped on walls and furniture. They even got wiped in textbooks and library books at school. And I'll never forget the time in geometry class when I was a high school sophomore when I saw a humongous boog stuck to the back of a chair.

But let's go back to when I was 11. One of the first big-box stores in the area was Bigg's. If Rink's stinks, Bigg's was big. We went out to Bigg's back when it first opened.

As was normal for retailers back then, Bigg's had a record aisle, and it carried 45 RPM singles. You can see where this story is headed, right? Anyway, we stopped by the record department and looked at its offerings. It was something to see!

A young man was purchasing a 45 of "Easy Lover" by Philip Bailey & Phil Collins to replace his copy that got stolen. I know firsthand that nothing is safe in a home invasion, so it's a believable story. But while I was in the record aisle, my nose started to tickle. Why, it was a boog! And it had to be discarded somewhere.

What record could it be wiped on? It couldn't be "Private Dancer" by Tina Turner, as that was too sophisticated. I also decided to spare "Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy)" by Roger Hodgson, which today is itself a lost hit. Hey! I know! How about "Body" by the Jacksons?

Perfect!

Before anyone asks, the chunk of mucus was wiped on the record itself - not the sleeve.

If the record skipped, you could just blame it on the boogie!

I remember visiting this store again not long after, and some woman who worked there got really mad at me for misbehaving in the store. What did she expect? It's not like I was 40 or something.

"Body" - along with "Material Girl" by Madonna and "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" by Don Henley - was also one of the hits of the era that everyone called "the owl songs." Listen to each of these songs to hear why.

No comments:

Post a Comment