Rate Your Music score: 3.23 out of 5!
Why did a band from Melbourne, Australia, include the skyline of Cincinnati in a video?
"Playing To Win" was Little River Band's last Hot 100 hit, and I remember hearing it on album rock radio and MTV. The video was oddly appealing, but I could never figure out why a shot of the Cincinnati cityscape appears at 1:18. It's complete with Riverfront Stadium and the coliseum.
The video also has a few shots of a different city, which online sleuths have determined to be Minneapolis. Although I've been to Minneapolis a couple times, I couldn't recognize it from that angle.
The song is also interesting because its writers took the unusual step of analyzing all the lyrics to figure out a precise percentage of royalties that each writer would receive. The record also represents a brand of album rock that differs from some of the other musical styles we associate with that timeframe. This tune charted in early 1985, an era that otherwise brings to mind new wave and metal. People were staying up late and liking it fine that way, before they decided it was time for a cool change.
No comments:
Post a Comment