Monday, September 28, 2026

"Summer Rain" by Belinda Carlisle

1990 / #30

Rate Your Music score: 3.55 out of 5!

This lost hit evokes memories of the run-up to my expulsion from the world's worst high school. At long last, there was hope! A months-long major struggle was in store before my expulsion could be appreciated, but it was a long time coming! But that didn't mean it wasn't time for a school change (as Little River Band would say) even after that though.

The record we're profiling today is by Go-Go's lead singer Belinda Carlisle. As I was thinking about this song, I suddenly remembered a Belinda-related incident that I had forgotten about for well over 30 years.

It happened during a music award show that was televised nationwide. I can't even remember if it was the Grammys or the American Music Awards. I remember one telecast where all sorts of ridiculous stuff kept happening, including a weird performance of a song from a play by a man wearing an Uncle Al hat, but I don't remember if that was the same broadcast involved in this story. I stopped watching these award shows in the 1990s because the industry's music tastes just didn't keep up what I and most other folks were interested in.

Belinda must have liked gum. I think a lot of people back then did. This story is about an award show where Belinda was in the audience. It seemed like every music star in the stands was chewing gum, but Belinda made a big issue of it. As the camera focused on Belinda in her finery sitting in the auditorium, she was poking her gum out of her mouth with her tongue. It didn't look like she was trying to blow a bubble (in contrast to Digital Underground at a different award show). She was just letting an uninflated wad of gum hang out of her mouth. It looked like she was trying to see how far it could dangle there without falling on the floor.

I was disappointed that our local newspaper didn't mention this in its review of the show.

According to legend, Prince chewed gum while performing at the 1995 American Music Awards as a protest against lip-syncing. But I don't ever remember seeing this. It is unknown whether he bubbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment