Tuesday, October 1, 2024

"Chariots Of Fire" by Vangelis

1981 / #1

Rate Your Music score: 3.43 out of 5!

A chart-topping smash might not seem lost. But the instrumental theme to the movie Chariots Of Fire by Greek composer Evangelos Papathanassiou is said to have now vanished from radio - despite the heavy airplay it got during its 1981-82 chart run.

I remember hearing it on a family vacation to Myrtle Beach, as it accompanied a channel on the motel cable TV system that showed all-text computerized ads. I don't know why we sat around and watched an ad channel, but it must have been raining. This is also the record that ended Joan Jett's 7-week reign at #1.

I've never seen the movie though. It won 4 Oscars - counting one for Vangelis's theme music. Everyone says their school took them to see this film, yet the students weren't that interested in it. According to the description, the movie was about an Olympic runner overcoming prejudice. Many of my schoolmates liked to create prejudice instead of fighting against it.

I've heard of lots of feature films that schools had everyone see, yet students weren't interested in. Apparently, there was one that had absolutely no dialogue whatsoever. I vaguely remember seeing something like that. I remember a high school teacher showing us some theatrical release and fast-forwarding through most of it. I think it was something that was only PG-rated, so it's not like there was anything offensive that we needed to skip over. She didn't say anything as she was fast-forwarding.

This also reminds me of the time in 8th grade when our school took us to see a play and someone kept chewing bubble gum and making Darth Vader noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment