Saturday, September 28, 2024

"The Goonies 'R' Good Enough" by Cyndi Lauper

1985 / #10

Rate Your Music score: 3.25 out of 5!

Think hard, and you may remember hearing this song on the radio. If nothing else, you may recall the Cookie Monster-inspired line, "It's good enough for me."

When I say this is lost, I mean it's lost. Some folks say that some of the songs on this blog still appear on regular radio in their town. But this one is gone. I remember hearing it when I was about 12 and I was sitting on the floor in the den making up Monopoly rules that let players burn down each other's hotels. But when this song fell off the chart, that was it.

A couple years later, I was awed by the fact that we never heard this record anymore. But then came a very short chapter in my life that I've mostly forgotten about. For some reason, my mom forced me to take keyboard lessons. I had absolutely zero interest in these lessons. I wanted to be an Atari BASIC programmer, civil engineer, or broadcaster. I didn't want to become a musician too. Plus, school was hard enough without an additional workload. I already had an intense workload from school, and I was expected to excel in every subject.

Guess what song I had to use for keyboard practice?

Other than that, however, "Goonies" was gone. Everyone forgot it existed, and I don't think any radio station ever dug it up. I didn't even take keyboard lessons for very long.

The keyboard lessons were also around the time WCLU went under. If a top 40 station dug up a lost hit, it was usually WCLU. By contrast, the big stations in town had small playlists because they thought everyone had a short attention span. In some cases, maybe they were right. I had to fight with violent idiots at school every day, and I can't imagine them being advanced enough to recall any song after it was finished playing. If they took over American Top 40, they'd probably just play the same song 40 times.

The trend toward small playlists was aggravating, and combining that with the community normalizing the incredibly insane antics at school was a bad combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment